A Special Valentine's Day

So I know what you all are thinking - Jon planned something so romantic.  Well as much as I would like to say that is true - it isn't.  In fact I spent half the day at a tax appointment!  If that isn't romantic I don't know what is!  However, it was our evening that made the day so special.  We spent it with a bunch of sixth graders!  TJ's good friend Joel had another dance in memory of TJ.  I had gotten a text from his mom earlier in January asking if they could do it again.  Who am I to say no when TJ's classmates are wanting to do this.  I guess I should rewind just a little bit.  You see Joel's birthday is February 6 - yes the same day TJ had his first MRI.  So, instead of Joel having a regular birthday party celebrating himself - he instead he joins the class together and honors the memory of his good friend.  Joel is such a great kid!  It's actually a bittersweet kind of thing.  It is a party that TJ would have had an absolute ball at, but in all honesty, I wonder if this party would ever have been planned had TJ still been here.

We arrived a little late and the boys jumped in on the dancing right away.  (Although a little later I found Charlie with what looked like tears in his eyes - he was afraid that he was going to embarrass himself.  I know, Charlie?  I had a little chat and he quickly changed his mind and danced the night away).  We enjoyed TJ's favorite supper - Stromboli, chips and lime green punch.  This year they had 3 Musketeer's on the tables.  They took a break from dancing to eat and that's when another one of TJ's good friend's mom got up to talk.  Her words melted my heart and brought me to tears (I'll share more about this at a later time).  After more time of dancing it was time for the party to come to a close.  We went outside for a balloon release.  They had Jon, the boys and I stand in the middle of the circle (similar to last year) with the sixth grade class and parents around us.  We were given six lime green balloons and then Joel began to talk.  He tried to talk and broke down - I quickly grabbed him from the outer circle and brought him in with us - I held him while he spoke.  My heart was broken - yet so moved by the love he had for his friend.  Although it is very hard to see those kids and think about all the "what-if's" - I'm so thankful they still haven't forgotten about TJ and still want us to be a part of their lives!  Thank you just doesn't seem like enough!



The new shirts they made this year.  The front has TJ's favorite Bible verse.




The 6th grade class (plus Anthony, Will and Charlie)!


Comments

  1. That is super awesome! I love it that they continue to do this! By Senior year, this class will be inseparable. What a great bunch of kiddos!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grieving Still

Welcome

The Basement Reveal!