Well, that's not what I expected!

So, about seven years ago we (should say I) decided it would be fun to have a dog (again).  Let me rewind just a bit.  When Jon and I first got married we lived in an apartment in New Sharon, so we couldn't have any pets.  Once we moved out to the country I got a puppy - Hunter!  He was a good dog, other than the fact he would bring up dead animals to the house.  Well when we moved from the place we were renting to where we live now - Hunter never would really stay around.  Not sure what ended up happening to him - he just ran off and never came back.  Then when TJ was about three and Anthony was six months old we got a black lab - Shadow - from our baby sitter's niece.  It was a bit of a wild dog.  I remember being outside working in the flower beds - I would set up the pack and play for Anthony to hang out in and it would never fail - TJ would jump in every time because he was so scared of that dog.  Come harvest time, Shadow didn't make it.  She kept chasing the tractor up and down the lane and got hit by a truck that drove by our driveway.  Ok, now back to me wanting to get a dog again.  Our neighbor's dog had pups and they were so cute, plus the boys were older now (and we now had Will) I thought it was time for a dog again.  I always grew up with a dog - the boys needed a pet (and maybe a little responsibility)!  So, I took the boys over to pick out a puppy and we came home with two - Jack and Lady (named after two Thomas the Train characters).  They were perfect.  I never heard them whimper.  They never really had a bad puppy stage where they got into everything.  I honestly think it was because they had each other - they weren't lonely.  We never had any problems with them.

Then about five years ago I noticed that Jack didn't quite seem the same.  Once I got closer I could see that he was bleeding.  I knew he hadn't been hit.  I really don't remember where Jon was, but I called my dad to come help me.  He took Jack down to the vet to see what was wrong.  They called and told me that they thought he had gotten into mouse poison and he was bleeding internally.  There were only two options for Jack - a blood transfusion or put him down.  Well, growing up on the farm dogs came and went (in fact growing up - we would get a puppy at the kiddie barn at the Southern Iowa Fair and by next fair time our dog had gotten hit by a car so we would get another one).  I just couldn't justify a transfusion, so we had to put him down.  They asked me if we had any other dogs which I told them yes.  So, Dad made another trip back to the vet for me, however, Lady was just fine (thankfully).  Dad graciously brought Jack back home for us.  For some odd reason TJ wanted to see Jack.  I wasn't sure that was a good idea, but thought I'd grant his wish.  Well he was in a Styrofoam box and on the box was the name Max.  I began to panic and worried that my Dad had grabbed the wrong dog on accident.  So, the following conversation happened between my Dad and I (quietly so TJ couldn't hear)
                                         "Dad, are you sure you got the right dog?"
                                         "Yea, why?"
                                         "The box says Max on it."
                                         "Isn't that the dog's name?"
                                         "No, it's Jack."
                                         "Oh, I couldn't remember, so I told them it was Max."
WHEW!!  Well, after that TJ changed his mind and didn't want to see the dog.  I was a very thankful.  So, my Dad helped Jon dig a hole to bury Jack.  The funny part - my Dad decided that maybe they should say something - so what does he say?  "Max, he was  good ol' dog!"  We still laugh about that to this day!

Well, since Jack was gone all we had was Lady.  I think she began to get lonely and I believe other male dogs could sense there was no longer a male dog around here - so they decided to come over and make friends with Lady.  How thoughtful!!  Except there was one problem - we didn't have Lady fixed!  So began our adventure of Lady and her puppies!  I think she had a total of three different litters.  I know what you're thinking - why didn't you get her fixed?!?  There were several times we thought about it, but do you remember my growing up - I just knew that the day we would get her fixed she would get hit by a car the next day.  I think at one time we had 11 dogs!  It was crazy.  We did give some away.  Others learned the trick of chasing cars down our lane and didn't make it.  I have to admit she did have some pretty cute puppies!!  The boys would always name them.  And oh the stories we could tell!  That's a whole other post!!

Well, Lady passed away a little while ago and we no longer have any dogs.  I was saddened, but there was a part of me that was a little relieved - I wouldn't have to worry about getting her fixed or having any more puppies.  But as time goes by with no dog - it really has impacted me more than I thought.  There is no longer anyone to give scraps to or when I clean out the refrigerator.  There are no more barks to let me know when someone is coming up the drive (or late at night when they coyotes are howling).  There is no longer someone greeting me when I pull up the driveway.  Although I miss her, I am not ready for another dog anytime soon.  It's just another change in our family we are going to have to get used to.

I tried to find the picture with TJ and Anthony holding Jack and Lady, but it must not be on my computer.  That was probably back in the day when I had film and I actually printed my pictures.  Here is a picture with the boys and Lady's puppies!




                                          
Anthony has Denny (for Denny Hamilton)
Charlie has _____! He changed his name every day - it depended on what NFL team he liked best!
TJ holding spot
Will holding Martin (for Mark Martin)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome

Grieving Still

I Love To Tell The Story