Where were you?

I was really hoping to blog about this yesterday, however we were very busy with an event at church that I had to wait until today to talk about this.  A year ago (March 24) we attended the biggest party of the year!!  Our dear friends held a benefit for our family - "Raise Your Hand for TJ!"  It was more than I would have ever imagined. 

The committee consisted of close friends who were thoughtful enough to listen to our wishes (I felt like I was acting like a spoiled brat on my requests).  I wanted something that represented TJ - it would have to involve music, dancing and overall FUN!  A few of the committee members would fill us in on different details, but I had NO clue it was going to be all that it was.  I remember going early to check things out.  I was overcome with emotions the minute I stepped foot into the door.  There were inflatables, games, face painting a photo booth.  Lime green was everywhere.  There were tables upon tables of items donated for the silent auction.  And a stage full of items for the live auction.  The wall of pictures of TJ, our family, and the words written to describe TJ by his school and church classmates!  A supper consisted of Subway sandwiches, grilled burgers, hot dogs - all of TJ's favorites.  Our new friend Tyler Sash signing autographs all night!  We can't forget about the event that everyone was waiting around to witness - the shaving of Allen Goemaat's hair and beard!  And then the people....all the people!  I was completely taken back by all the people who came out to support our family.  There were familiar faces and several faces I was seeing for the first time that night.  We had family and friends who traveled from Missouri and Nebraska.  Words cannot express the emotions we were feeling that night.  I had no clue it was going to be that big of an event.  I remember thinking how I wished that TJ would have been able to be there.  We would have LOVED it!!  It screamed TJ!!  I couldn't help but think about all the fun he would have had - dancing, face painting, and I know he would have spent a majority of the night in that photo booth!!  It was everything we could have ever hoped for and so much more.  I couldn't believe the generosity of all the people.  They raised so much money that night - it was quite unbelievable!  Just a side note:  we have put that money into a special account and every year around TJ's birthday we are hoping to pay it forward.  All of those who donated that night were paying forward to us - it's the least we could do to honor them and our son. 

Were you there that night?  If so, I'd love to hear what you remember about that night.  Or maybe the things you enjoyed.  You can respond on here or send me an email (tamigoemaat@gmail.com)  I'd love to hear what you have to say!

I just want to give one more shout out to the AMAZING committee who put on such a memorable night.  Thank you from the bottom of our hearts!!  Words cannot express all that you did for our family.  You went above and beyond to honor our son and for that we are forever grateful.  We love you!!

Here are just a FEW pictures of that incredible night!!


 
The AMAZING committee!
front row: Tom Morrison, Josh Brink, Cody DeZwarte, Megan, Margie & Kip Greenhalgh, Tanya & Kenny Davis
back row: Jes Morrison, Carly VanZomeren, Amy & Ross Terpstra, Mike & Julie VanUtrecht, Diane & Rick DeZwarte 

 


 

 
Tyler Sash signing autographs
 
 


 
The crowd of people!
 
 
 

 
Allen Goemaat along with my sister Jeana after she cut off all of his hair and beard!!!
 
 
 

 
The tables of silent auction items.
 
 
 

 


Our Family!
 


Comments

  1. I remember how many people were there! It was absolutely amazing!! My kids played and played in the bounce houses until we drug them out of there after 9 pm. Levi's highlight was getting his Tyler Sash rookie card signed by Tyler! It was very moving to see how many people came, from all over, to support you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too was blown away by the number of people! It showed how much your family was loved and prayed for. Our kids had so much fun on the inflatables too, while I stood in line for autographs from Tyler Sash. Tate still has his poster in his room and it always reminds us of TJ. In fact, Tate still makes sure to pray for your family at least once a day. That night helped our kids to see who we had been praying for - what an amazing and fun kid TJ was!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fibtaPeri Jamairuss Pollard click here
    magdevaper

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grieving Still

Welcome

The Basement Reveal!