Anthony's First Cattle Show

Saturday, May 31 we headed to Washington, Iowa for the Southeast Jr. Angus Show.  We thought it would be good practice for both Anthony and Buddy (and maybe even for Mom)!  I had been stressing about it all week - wondering if we were ready or not.  I officially found out what my Dad went through for years when us girls showed.  I had ordered the supplies we would need and started getting everything ready to go Friday night.  I think I only got a few hours of sleep - only because my mind wouldn't shut off.  I kept trying to think about everything we would need and then add it to the list of things to pack in the morning.  I finally just decided to get up since I wasn't sleeping anyway - that was 5am!  I do believe that part of my nerves was because my Dad wasn't going to be there.  I've never done this without him and wasn't sure if I could!

We got all packed up - Anthony told me later that we packed and brought everything but the bedding and the gates - (which was probably true) and Jon, Glenda and the boys and I left around 8:30.  One of our landlords went down ahead of us and got our stall all ready to go with the fans and dividers.  So once we showed up all we had to do was get Buddy entered, weighed and to pay our entry fee.  We decided to wash him up and let him take it easy.  I think my nerves were still on hyper-drive.  It's one of those things where you hurry up to wait!  And then you have to decide how long you are going to wait until you want to start getting him ready.  We watched just a little bit of the show before we decided we needed to get busy.  I used to help my Dad get the cattle ready, but never did any of the clipping - so I was glad Junior helped.  My Aunt Kris came out to the barn and helped too!

We were all ready and it was just about time for Anthony's class.  I told him that he just had to remember two things - always keep your eye on the judge and NEVER let go!  I wasn't quite sure how Buddy was going to react around other steers or just being in a new place.  Around home he could use a shocker to get him going - he's just so easy going!  I was so proud of Anthony.  He did such a good job!  There was only one time during his class where Buddy got just a slight bit excited, but Anthony had control and did a good job stopping him.  He ended up getting 2nd in his class which wasn't too bad for his first show!  He also got to go back in for Reserve Champion - which I thought for a moment he was going to get it - but he didn't.   Then they had a showmanship class for beginner show'ers and everyone was going to get a prize so we told Anthony to go for it!  Well, just before he was about ready to walk in the ring someone else's heifer went nuts and hit Anthony - basically pinned him between the heifer and Buddy.  It knocked the wind out of him, but he was ok.  He still wanted to show.  Obviously, for showmanship classes they judge you on how you show and not your animal.  The judge talked to each of the show'ers and then told them to walk their animals.  Well, for some odd reason, Buddy decided to jump on the back of this bull calf (he only weighed 325 lbs).  When he did he knocked Anthony down and I thought he was going to step on him - but he didn't!  The whole time Anthony never let go!  Such a brave kid!  He never cried and went right back to showing him.  The Judge had a hard time deciding between the kids so they all won - their prize $5!  After that Anthony was done.  We took Buddy back to wash out all of the product in his hair (and cool him off) while everyone else loaded up the trailer.  Anthony ended up getting $27 for prize money too!

Overall it was a good day!  Good experience for Anthony, Buddy and me!  I was thankful Glenda came along to help out with the other boys.  Although, I was pleasantly surprised at how well they did!  Will was super helpful and Charlie was good too!  There is another show in a couple of weeks that we are still trying to decide whether or not to go to.  And then before too long the county fair will be here!  I've been so proud of Anthony and all that he is doing with Buddy.  It's alot of work to take care of and show a steer.  It has been a learning process for us all and one I think I can say - we've all enjoyed!


Getting ready!


Walking to the show ring.


Waiting for our class to show.



This was actually when Anthony went in to show for Reserve Champion Angus Steer.



This was the beginner's showmanship class.  He is talking to the judge.



All done!  Picture time in front of the sign. 



Hanging with Uncle Joe during lunch time.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grieving Still

Welcome

The Basement Reveal!