More than a Blanket


Above is a picture of a blanket.  But it is no ordinary blanket.  This was a gift to TJ from his fourth grade class when we was sick.  If I remember correctly they all worked together to make it.  And it was his teacher - Mrs. Padgett that delivered it to him while he was still in the hospital (the first time).  This blanket became a comfort to TJ.  He covered up with it all the time.  In fact the last day we traveled to Iowa City for radiation we brought it along with us.  He used it in the hospital and we brought it along to the Hospice House.  He was always wrapped up in this blanket. (I even have a picture of him covered up in this blanket)

I remember the first day home after TJ passed away.  I couldn't sleep that night.  I had been used to sleeping next to TJ for the last six weeks - I didn't know what to do.  So, I went and got this blanket.  I snuggled with it and held it tight as if it were TJ himself.  It quickly became my comfort - but for different reasons than what it was for TJ.  I have been sleeping with it ever since.  Now when I travel and I can't have my luggage in my hands (or trunk of the car) the whole journey - I leave it at home - at risk for loosing it.  I must admit that I don't sleep as well those nights.  So yes, at 35 years old - a blanket brings me comfort.  I hold on tight to it every night.  Unfortunately I have had to wash it several times - so it no longer smells like TJ - but I still feel close to him when I hold it in my arms.  My arms can't wait for the day when I get to hold TJ again.  Until then, I'll keep sleeping with this blanket as long as it brings me comfort.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grieving Still

Welcome

The Basement Reveal!