The GLOW Run!

A little over two months ago my younger sister and I signed up for the GLOW Run!  I had seen it advertised somewhere (don't remember where) and thought it looked like fun.  In fact, it is described like this:  The Glow Run 5k Run/Walk event is a one of a kind night time experience that is less about how fast you run and more about enjoying the music filled glowing course with your friends and family.  Well, we had good intentions of training but as always, life happened and we didn't train as we had hoped.  But after the last email I had received saying there were 12,000+ signed up and they weren't even timing the event - I figured we wouldn't be last!!   The email also said they would be giving out awards for the top glow people, so we decided to make some costumes.  We bought tube socks - painted them fluorescent green and striped them out with glow in the dark puff paint.  We also made a tutu and sprayed it with glow in the dark spray paint.  I do believe I was most excited about our costumes!! 

So this past Saturday (the 20th) was the actual event.  When we arrived, there were already hundreds of people all decked out in their glow run attire!  I do believe Jon was a little worried we were going to be the weirdest ones there - he was reassured that we were not! (Who knew that we could embarrass Jon?)  It was crazy all the people and the outfits!!  The event started and ended at the Science Center of Iowa.  We kept bumping into people we knew - including our cousin Sally!  It was SO MUCH FUN!!!  I've never had that much fun at a 5K!  I believe all 5K's should be this much fun.  When it was time for the race to actually begin - they let 1000 people go at a time.  We were in the third leg to be released.  There were several spots along the course that had little stations with black lights so you could stop and take a picture.  There were a couple of DJ's along the way playing music too.  And then there were tent/tunnel like things that you could run through to see how you glowed!!  I was really proud of us - we ended up jogging most of the course!  We wanted to time ourselves to see how long we did actually take, but we couldn't find the stopwatch on my sister's phone!  Jon and Jason figured it took us a little over a half hour!  Not bad for not training!!

We had so much fun!  I will definitely be doing this race again!  I would recommend it for all of you guys - even if you aren't a runner - it is just a fun event to be a part of.  I'll share with you some pictures of the night!



 
 
(WAY) before the race!
 
 
 

 
 
With our two biggest fans!
 
 
 
 
 

Our cousin Sally!
 
 
 
 

 
 
Here we go!
 
 
 
 

 
After the race with our BIG Medal!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grieving Still

Welcome

The Basement Reveal!