High Hopes!

With all the nice weather we've been having lately - I find myself wanting to be outside and not inside doing all the things that I need to be doing.  So today since it wasn't too windy and not too hot I thought it would be fun to take the boys for a bike ride.  Well, we live on gravel which isn't the easiest to ride a bike on.  However, I grew up only riding on gravel roads and it made me tough - so - I thought it was time to make these boys tough!  Plus I didn't have the pickup to haul all of our bikes anywhere and I knew they wouldn't all fit in the trunk of the car.  The boys were excited!  We talked and decided we were going to try and ride our bikes to Grandma GG's (since that was where the pickup was - and we could put the bikes in the back and drive home)!  I should tell you all that it is probably a good 5-7 miles to Grandma GG's!  We packed a cooler bag with our water bottles and we were set to go!




This was BEFORE we left!


 
One picture with Mom before we go!
 
 
So we took off down our lane and I could tell right away we weren't going to get very far!  I should share a little bit of information here:  Anthony has decided that he now wants to ride TJ's old bike - which is a tad too big for him.  He has to put one foot on the pedal and hop on - he can't touch the ground with his feet when he is on the bike.  Will got a new bike for his birthday - which works well for him - however, with his muscle weakness - he struggles a bit with hills.  And Charlie - he is a good bike rider - however his bike is way too small to keep up with the rest of our bigger bikes.  SO, as we are riding down the lane (which has a downward slope) the boys get to going a little too fast and I see Anthony fall over in the ditch - lost in the tall grass.  Will doesn't use his brakes - he is dragging his feet to try and slow down.  Well Charlie - he was doing pretty well..  I quickly told the boys to stop and that we needed to have a little chat.  We decided we would try to make it to the stop sign, take a water break and then figure out our next plan of action.  Let's just say we didn't make it to the stop sign before I decided we were going to go back home.  I was really hoping to get a little exercise all the while having fun with the boys.  Well we weren't having much fun.  So once we got back home we sat under one of the shade trees and had another discussion.  I thought that maybe it would be fun to go for a four wheeler ride instead.  So Charlie and I rode one and Anthony and Will rode the other.  Only this time we decided to go to Grandma Fergusons (it's only about two miles away)!  We made it there but Grandma was gone.  So we drove back home and got ready to go to a ballgame!  I learned a few things before we take our next adventure: 
1.  Pack the bikes in the pickup and drive to a highway, bike path, in town, or anywhere non-gravel to ride on cement! 
2.  Call to see if someone is home before heading over to their house. 
3.  Realistically think a plan through BEFORE telling the boys! 
 
Overall I had a good time hanging with my boys!  Like I've said before we were "making memories!"

Comments

  1. I can totally relate to all of this! What we as mom's think of as "great" ideas or have high expectations of, tend to disappoint us. Glad you didn't lose heart and had a good time any way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grieving Still

Welcome

I Love To Tell The Story