2013 Iowa State Fair!!

I can hardly believe that the Iowa State Fair is already over.  It makes me sad just thinking about it!!  We had a great time this year.  We got to see and experience things we have never done before.  Including the queen contest, llama limbo, yo-yo contest, milking demonstration, butter sculpting, making meals from the heartland, scavenger hung, big wheel races, bird house making, tractor pulling and cookie decorating.  Yet we still had time for our favorite things like: super bull contest, little hands on the farm, varied industry building, the big yellow slide, the sky glider, animal learning center, mutton bustin', Hairball, the shows, nascar racers, the hypnotist, DNR building, 4-H working exhibits and SO MUCH MORE!!  I could blog all day long about all what we did and saw this year at the fair - don't worry - I won't.  Instead, I'll share with you some of the pictures (in no particular order) I did take of our time there!


























Ed, Shawna, Jon and I were able to go to Hairball and Toby Keith together.  We had a lot of fun together.  We had stage front seats for Toby Keith so we were THAT close to him - this picture was taken with my phone!!  It was a bit crazy down there (no chairs) but pretty cool too!  Shawna and I along with our other sister-in-laws and mother-in-law went to Jeremy Camp and Casting Crowns.  That too was an AMAZING concert but I didn't bring my camera.  LOVED all the concerts we went to!
 

At the DNR building.  My dad used to take my sister and I here - now I'm taking my kids.  They love it as much as me.  This year Anthony was able to do archery inside - which he enjoyed!  It's such a relaxing place to hang out at the fair (other than the camper)!



This year on opening day they were looking for 1500 volunteers to help package meals from the heartland.  We signed up for the hour slot and had so much fun.  In fact the boys are asking when we can do it again!! 
 



 
The annual picture taken at little hands on the farm - one of our favorite places to go.  We actually got there in time to get a hat - or this year a visor!  It won't be too long and the boys will be too big to do this!
 


 
Our niece Megan won the county fair queen - which means she gets to go compete for State Fair Queen.  So it was different not having her around the first three days of the fair.  We got to see her on two different stages telling a little bit about her county and herself.  Then Saturday night we got to watch her during the queen contest.  Although she didn't win - she will always be a queen in our hearts!
 


 
Grandpa Don got a scooter this year!!  We had to be careful when he came around that the kids didn't take off on it -pretty sure Charlie would have if we would have let him!  Here he is delivering them their money for the fair!
 


 
This was something new we tried this year.  We went to the milking demonstration and shortly after they had a butter sculpting contest.  It was similar to how grape stomping has been - you sign up and then they draw a number.  If your number is selected you get to participate.  Anthony was the only one that got drawn.  He attempted to make a house, truck and then decided on a fair square (rice krispie bar on a stick).  They only had a certain amount of time to get it done.  He didn't win -but he sure got a cool looking ribbon!  We had fun at this - we might try it again next year!



This was also a new thing for us to do this year - big wheel races.  You had to sign up and then you were given a time that you would race.  Will and Charlie both agreed that they did NOT want to be in the same heat.  Probably best that way!  They had these big wheels and red and black ones.  I told the boys - you get what you get don't throw a fit!  I saw one boy turn down a "girl" bike so they didn't let him race!  Will got 4th in his heat!
 



And Charlie got 3rd!


One day you could make a birdhouse at the DNR building (while supplies lasted).  So we decided to make one.  The boys had fun and did a good job!
 
 

 
 
Will and Charlie participated in Mutton Bustin' again.  I always enjoy watching this.  Charlie was first (he got on the IPTV fair) and didn't ride too long.  Will got lucky and got a sheep that just walked out - he held on tight and got 4th place!!  He was so excited.  Charlie however, didn't think it was fair that Will didn't have a "crazy sheep!"
 




 
This was our home away from home.  Our camper is on the bottom side and my sister-in-law's camper is on the top side.  It was close to last year's super awesome spot (which was taken).  However, this year my brother-in-law spoiled us and built a deck!!  Not just stairs!  We are moving on up - just like the big boys! 
 
 

 
Jon and I with TJ's ribbon - the picture is a little blurry.  Probably because one of the kiddos took the picture!
 
 


 Cousin picture with the ribbon.  This year we had the privilege of having our niece Carson stay with us the first four days of the fair.  We enjoyed having her - she fit right in with the rest of us.  I tried to convince my sister to let her stay the whole time but she wouldn't let her :(  Maybe she will get to come next year.

 
 
 Well only 348 days until the fair comes back again!  Can't wait!!

 

 

 

Comments

  1. I still think you're crazy for loving the fair so much, but have to admit your pictures make me think it COULD be that fun ;) We missed the fair entirely this year so thanks for the sneak peek into what we missed. Pics with TJ's flower had me teary eyed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tami-Thank you so much for sharing. Oh, how I miss being at the Iowa State Fair. I saw your niece on IPTV and of course was thinking about her during those first few days of the fair as she competed. I have no doubt she represented Mahaska County in an exceptional way. I'm praying as you have those days alone during the week, that God would speak into your heart and soul and continue to fill any voids with His Holy Spirit! Have a wonderful week!
    Kari

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grieving Still

Welcome

The Basement Reveal!