Old School

I remember as a kid having to walk beans.  You know...go out into the field, walk the row of beans looking for weeds to pull.  I also remember the fond memories of the bean buggie.  This thing attached to the front of the tractor and had about six seats on it.  Each person was given a sprayer wand and if you saw a weed you sprayed it with roundup.  Only back then they didn't have roundup ready beans - so you had to be careful of where and how much you sprayed.  Anyway, I have been telling Jon that I think it would be good for our boys to walk beans.  I've even gone as far to try to convince him to not spray the field south of the lane - just so the kids could do this.  His comment was, "Tami, I don't own a $100,000 sprayer to have sit so the boys could walk beans."  I told him he was missing my point.  Well, it seems as the years go by, weeds are getting more resistant to the chemicals.  And this year the water hemp seems to be pretty bad.  SO, I got my wish.  Wednesday after the boys got home from school - we walked beans.  I was pretty impressed with the boys.  They worked hard and I never heard one complaint!!  In fact one said "this is more fun that I thought."  And another one has been asking when can we do it again!  Now, we didn't walk the whole entire field - just the outside six rows - but still a daunting task.  Thursday, after lunch Jon and I headed to a different field.  I actually enjoyed our time.  We walked side by side and had good conversation.  He even treated me to coffeetime in town!  I love being able to work along side him.


 
Working hard! 



Love the men in my life!

Comments

  1. Awesome pictures Tami. I love to see what you have all been up to. I hope you all have a great year. Robin Ferguson.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grieving Still

Welcome

The Basement Reveal!