A Different Way of Celebrating

August 3rd would have been TJ's 12th birthday.  This would be the second birthday we would "celebrate" without him.  I wasn't exactly sure what to do this year until I received an email from my sister-in-law.  The email contained information about the Run in the Sun 5K.  This event is held to help raise funds for the Serenity House in Oskaloosa.  Some of our family actually participated in this event last year.  However, this year - it was on TJ's birthday!  How fitting!!  I had told all of our family about it and we decided to make it part of TJ's birthday celebration.  I had to call Cathy (MHP development director - the one in charge of this event, who by the way is awesome!) about some questions I had.  While in conversation with her she asked me if I would be willing to share what the hospice house meant to our family before the 5K/1mile walk started.  After much thought (days) I decided to share.  How do you put six weeks of memories into a five minute speech?  It was hard!  So, on Aug. 3 all of our family came and most participated in either the 5K or 1mile walk.  It was the most emotional 5K/1mile walk I've ever been too!  I was so glad we were able to share TJ's birthday with our "new extended family" too!  After the run was over and all the awards were handed out we headed over to Edmundson Park for lunch.  We enjoyed some of TJ's favorites - PB&J's, bologna or ham & cheese sandwiches.  Along with chip and dip, watermelon and a couple of cookie cakes!  After everyone had left we headed to get some balloons to take out to the cemetery.  This year we decided to just keep them out there - we didn't plan to release them like last year.  I found it odd/strange - we bought one mylar balloon and 12 latex.  Once we got out there one blew away and one popped.  Last year we had one get away too.  It's as if we always end up with 10 balloons - I guess it just made me realize that TJ will be forever 10! 

Here is a copy of the words I shared about our experience at the Serenity Hose (and a picture to follow):
 
How do you put into words what the Serenity House means to my family and me?  It was a place I had hoped we would never have to use - ever!  However, in our darkest time, it was more than a beautiful, functional amazing house - it became our home away from home.  When we first arrived we had no clue how much time we would spend there.  Over the next six weeks we would build relationships with volunteers, aids, nurses and doctors.  During that time all of these people learned, loved and took such great care of our son.  Yet at the same time, they did the same for the rest of our family.  Everyone helped to make our stay be the best it could be considering the circumstances.  I have countless memories of pranks we would play on the nurses and aids, meals brought into the house for our family to eat together, visitors, chats, laughter and tears shared with doctors and nurses.  I remember the staff getting our room ready for a big slumber party.  And helping us prepare the last Easter we would spend all together as a family.  The list goes on and on.   But one memory we will never forget - Nurse Nancy explaining to Jon and I that if we needed some alone time to just put a towel on the door!  That was when I knew we were more than acquaintances - we had become family.  It’s been over a year since we left the Serenity House, yet every time we walk through those doors - it feels like we are home again.  Thank you just doesn’t seem like enough when I think about all the things the staff, volunteers and others did for our son and our family.  We will always cherish our time we spent there and will forever be grateful to all of those who loved and cared for our son but also our entire family (all 37).  This house and all the people in it will always have a special place in our hearts.  So, I guess you could say this house is more than just a beautiful facility for those preparing to leave this world - it is a place where everyone is cared for, loved and treated like family - it’s a place so many call home.   
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grieving Still

Welcome

The Basement Reveal!