GUATEMALA!!

I've tried a couple different times to sit down and tell you all about our experience in Guatemala - but I've been a loss for words each time.  It was such an incredible experience that it's really hard to put into words - I'll try my best.  So, in my last post I told you all about our mountains (obstacles) that ended up being anthills.  Well, I can honestly say every worry or concern we had about our flights or just being down there - were quickly put to ease.  God was with us the whole entire time.  It was absolutely amazing.



 
This was our group - 25 youth and 7 adults



 
This was the group I worked with and our family.
 

 
This was Jon's group and his family.
 

 
We built three houses right next to each other - the other two were just on the other side of those trees. 

 
Here the houses are all up with cement board on the outside and drywall in the inside.
 

 
This was a typical view of the mountain side - it looked like someone had laid a quilt right on top.
 

 
Mudding and sanding.

 
This is what the houses looked like after we stuccoed and before the roofs were put on.

 
We also put on little porches - these came in very handy when it rained.
 

 
This was the family that I got to help build for.  This was dedication day.
 

 
Here the kids are getting meds ready for the medical clinic we would be helping with later in the day.
 

 
More meds!
 



More Meds - I think Zach & Derek were a little hungry!
 
 

 
And more! 
 

 
On Med clinic days - we handed out many things to the kids.  They would quickly mob you.  I think Cody is telling them "no mas" - no more!

 
They loved to color!
 

 
Jon and I with Dan the missionary and Hermano Jesus - the pastor who would share the gospel each night of the med clinic.
 

 
Dan with his staff - Anya and Jody (and his son)
 

 
Another view - we would see someone in the fields every morning - hoeing.
 

 
Jon, Rick and Kip - they got the privilege to drive these vans - you will have to ask them if they prefer to drive in the USA or Guatemala.
 

 
This was our home away from home.  We stayed above in the white shed like looking building.  Below is the orphanage.
 
 
 
The first three days we were there we worked on building the houses for our families.  I was amazed at how quickly they came together.  The youth really did a great job.  Those days the little community (basically the families of who we were building for) made our lunch.  One day it was rice and beans.  Another was beans and rice.  And the other day it was tostados - with guacamole and chicken.  It was very good.  And for those of you who know Jon - he is a picky eater - he ate all of it!  The third day of the house build we dedicated the houses to the families.  Each group got to go inside the house and present the families with the gifts we had bought them.  Then Dan (the missionary) would gift them some gifts but start to turn it into more spiritual than physical.  And then the Guatemalan pastors would give the gospel message to each family.  While all of this was going on inside the house the rest of our group was on the outside of the house - praying, singing songs and reading scripture.  It was absolutely amazing.  The devil was definitely trying to ruin it - the biggest rain storm started up just after our first house - and with metal roofs - it makes it hard to hear what's going on inside and for all those outside to stay focused.  But he didn't win - all five families accepted Christ as their Savior that day.  It was such an amazing thing to witness.
 
The next two days after house building were complete - we did medical clinics.  We went to two remote villages - up in the mountains.  Dan and his staff, along with some of our youth set up this clinic inside of a school.  The people would come - get checked out and be given the medicines that they needed.  While all of this was going on the rest of us were outside playing with the kids and interacting with the adults.  It was easy to fellowship even though we couldn't speak the same language.  We quickly bonded with games and gifts.  Then once the medical clinic was over the room was set up for a movie - the life of Jesus - was played.  Once again we sat among the Guatemalan people and watched the movie.  After the movie was over our group got up and sang a couple songs and some of our youth gave testimonies.  That in itself was moving to us sponsors.  To see our youth pour out their hearts and to see others come along side them and comfort them - powerful.  Then we sang another song and went to go back and sit with the people again.  This was when Hermano Jesus got up and presented them with the gospel.  Oh how I wish I could have known what he was saying.  He spoke with such passion.  While he was speaking - we would be in prayer for the people.  Once he would give an invitation to accept Christ we would go out among the people - lay our hands on them and be in prayer.  This was so amazing to be a part of.  Each night was unique.  However, the second night moved me more.  The people would come forward and cry out to Jesus - they were pouring out their hearts and souls screaming out to Jesus to help them.  I believed it moved us all.  After the invitation and the prayer of acceptance we would get to go around and hug them all.  Their hugs were so real, genuine and loving - they would thank us - they were so grateful.  But in all honesty I think we were the grateful ones!
 
The last day we were there we had time to spend in the orphanage and then we went to Antigua to go shopping at the market.  Both were such a fun time.  I went down to the orphanage - I wanted to see what it was like but also to see the kids.  They had six little ones there - ranging from just a few months old to I believe 4 years old.  I didn't have my camera otherwise I would show you their precious little faces.  I got to hold Ruth - the little baby.  My heart broke for her.  Don't get me wrong - they are very well cared for there - but I couldn't help but think about her mom.  My heart yearns for TJ every single day - how I long to see him, hug him, hold him again - yet the mother of this particular child loved herself too much to give her the love and care she needed.  I just don't understand it.  I know that this same thing happens all over the world - but it was never more real to me than when I stepped foot into that orphanage.
 
Although all of these experiences were touching, moving and more amazing than I had ever imagined - our group devotions moved me and helped heal me just as much.  Dan had given us little devotional books to do for morning devotions.  Although this was a small little booklet - it was powerful.  It put my relationship with Jesus into perspective - it made it real.  It helped me to realize that I wasn't where I needed to be in my personal relationship with Jesus - that I honestly didn't have one for the last year or more.  But then group devotion time was just as amazing.  Dan taught us to read the Bible in a whole new way.  He taught us to make ourselves part of the story - to get wrapped up in it just like we do when we go to a movie.  He told us that it is the LIVING Word - to make it real in our lives.  We had read Bible stories that I've heard my whole live - however, this time I saw it in a whole new light.  It made me examine my life - it was powerful.  I wish you all could have experienced and witnessed all that we did on this trip - you would be forever changed - I KNOW I AM!!
 
On the way home someone asked me how this trip compared to my Africa trip.  It's honestly hard to compare the two since they were two totally different trips.  In Africa I feel like we walked along side the people - helping them.  And it was a trip I went on that I only knew one other person.  Don't get me wrong - it was an amazing trip, one I'll never forget - but I honestly think that trip put a spark in me for missions.  Because of that trip I experienced things I had never experienced before.  Giving me a new passion.  Which in turn made me want the youth to have that same feeling.  It led me to Brad & Tracy - which led me to Paradise Bound Ministries.  The Guatemala trip - took it to a whole new level.  I feel like every time we gave the people something physical - we turned it spiritual.  We built them a house and gave them gifts yet we shared Christ with them.  We played games and brought them gifts and medicines on med clinic days - yet we shared Christ with them.  And even at group devotions - we were shown who Christ is.  I have never seen Him more real and alive than I did on this trip.  It is something I will never forget and has changed me forever.  I hope to never be the same again.  I was also privileged to share this experience with my husband and our youth this time.  It was amazing to see the kids change throughout the week.  If you would have told any of us what we would have been doing over a week ago - we would have said you are crazy, I'm not going to do that.  However, now we know we can do it, it's not hard to share Jesus with people, it's not hard to pray and hug strangers - to love them.  This trip was absolutely amazing!  I know we are forever changed by it. 
 
Here's my plug:  If you would like to learn more about it, see more pictures and hear how it affected us all - we will be doing the service at our church (Central Reformed Church in Oskaloosa) on July 21 both at 9:00 and 10:45 am.  We would love to see you all there.


Comments

  1. I'm so excited for all of you that went on this trip. What an amazing experience for all of you. I hope to take my family to such a place sometime and share Jesus with them. I'm also very glad that God used this trip to bless you as well as the people there! I can't wait to catch up with you sometime to hear all about it:)

    We'll be there on the 21st!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grieving Still

Welcome

The Basement Reveal!