The Countdown Begins!

So for those of you who know me really well, probably already know what I'm talking about.  But just in case you don't, I'll tell you......it is now less than 30 days until the IOWA STATE FAIR!!!  I can hardly wait!  I have always LOVED the fair.  You see growing up we showed black Angus cattle.  So we would take our livestock up to the fair and spend almost a week there.  We didn't have a camper and we usually got a hotel - so that meant when we showed up for morning chores - we were there until evening chores!  We spent a lot of time just hanging out in the cattle barns.  However, my younger sister and I always would venture off at least a couple different times during the day.  We had our usual spots we wanted to cover - spin art, the big yellow slide, the DNR building and so many more.  There are so many good memories of the Iowa State Fair - too many to tell about in this post anyway!

So now that I'm grown, married and have kids of my own - I want to give them those same kind of experiences.  Things are a little different - we don't show (yet!) and we have a camper!  I believe I have camped up there Jon and I's whole married life!  I can't think of a fair I missed.  Yep - that means I took a week old baby to the fair and went extremely pregnant!  We didn't always camper for the whole 10 days until more recently.  Once my brother-in-law and sister-in-law got their own camper and we had our own camper - we've been camping together!!  It makes our time even more special.  We have so much fun together.  We've made A LOT of memories - some the campgrounds are still talking about!!  Oh I must explain to you that we aren't the lucky ones who have a reserved spot.  We are part of those crazy ones.  You know the ones.  The ones who bring up their camper a week before you can set it up to put in a holding pen - just so you can be closer to the front of the line - which means you are closer to getting the spot you really want and not having to fight the other crazies behind you.  Just getting your camper in the holding pen can be quite the process - talk to Jon about it sometime!  We've had our camper in some interesting spots!

Finally, last year we got our prime spot - campers together with the awnings opening to each other, under a shade tree, close to the entrance and to more than one bathroom!!  Our goal this year - to get that same spot!  Which means we will need to be close to the front of the line!

The last three years I believe we have gone down to the fair almost all 10 days!  We usually take a day to do our school shopping, but depending on what's going on that night - we will go down in the evening.  Sometimes we don't get a lot accomplished when we go down - but usually by the end of the 10 days we have seen it ALL (and then some)!  We have so much fun together.  I wish I could share with you all that we do - but the list would be too long.  I'm sure people look at us and think we are crazy - two grown women with eight kids!!  But that's ok, because WE LOVE IT!!  The kids look forward to it just as much as I do - I wish I could say the same for Jon - but he just doesn't like it as much as we do.  So usually it's my sister-in-law, nieces, nephews, the boys and I that stay up there the whole time.  Jon and my brother-in-law come up usually on the weekends and sometimes during the weekend - depending on what is going on.

So, if it's been awhile since you've been to the great Iowa State Fair - give me a call - we would love to show you a great time!  And maybe if your lucky - a whole new outlook and appreciation for the fair.  Oh, and in case you don't know - the Iowa State Fair is August 8-18!

Here are just a FEW pictures of our time at different State Fairs!


 
Charlie, Matthew, TJ, Anthony, Katy & Will


 
What says family picture more than getting it taken in the pig barn!!
 

 
This has always been one of my favorite pictures - the boys doing Little Hands on the Farm!
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grieving Still

Welcome

The Basement Reveal!