Buddy!

If you remember, back in December we weighed in Anthony's 4-H steer - Buddy!  Well, two weeks ago we took him to the vet to get wormed, poured and to get another implant.  So while we did all of this we though it would be fun to weigh him - just to see how big he is getting (and to check his rate of gain).  The vet didn't have a scale so we had to do it another way - drive the truck and trailer to the co-op and weigh it - then put the calf in the truck and reweigh it.  So, not sure how accurate it is, but he is up to 1100 lbs.  I've been proud of Anthony and how he has been working with him.  We've been tying him up, blowing him out and washing or wetting him down every day.  We are doing our best to keep that hair on him!!  Overall Buddy has been really good to work with - he is so mild mannered and easy going which is just want you want for a first time cattle shower!!  It's been fun getting back into this again - makes me miss the good ol' days when I used to show.  In fact, I find myself trying to take over. I quickly realize I need to stop and let Anthony do this.  He will never learn if I do it for him.  I guess old habits are hard to break!  We are hoping to take him to a couple of shows this summer - just for the two of them (Anthony and Buddy) to get used to it before fair time.  I think the experience will be good for the both of them.



Anthony brushing Buddy in the grooming shoot!


Anthony blowing him out.  It's like a giant size hair blow dryer for cattle!  For those of you who don't know - you use this to get the dirt out, dry their hair after washing or to blow (mist) product in their hair!  Yep, Buddy's hair is about as important as mine!!  HA!
  

Comments

  1. You guys are looking very busy!! Can not wait to see Buddy at the fair!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grieving Still

Welcome

The Basement Reveal!