Remembering a Friend

I have been so blessed to be a part of the movement of Seeing TJ Thru 20/20.  We are all working so hard at getting things moving along to ensure that we will be able to have everything ready for our ceremony on the last day of school.  With that being said, there have been three of us that have gone to the school this week to talk with the sixth grade class.  Monday morning we met with the class to get them thinking about what item they might want to put in the time capsule.  I brought in some items just to get their minds going back.  We wanted them to put something in their to help remember their friend or elementary years.  It could be anything from a specific item to a story/letter.  Plus we wanted them to share their story as to why they picked that particular item.  Then we also gave them each a paper with a couple of squares drawn on it.  These were for them to come up with their own design/phrase/saying that they wanted to put on their own individual tile.  These tiles will enclose the time capsule.  The whole thing is VERY cool! 


Well, today we went back to the school - to help them more and just to keep them going.  I was surprised to find out that everyone had their tiles done and many of the kids had already brought in their items for the time capsule.  I was impressed!!  I always knew TJ had such good classmates!  I'll be honest - I've been worried about all of this from the beginning.  Are the kids going to remember anything from two years back (and then some) about TJ?  Do they even care anymore?  Do they all feel this is silly/dumb?  I am humbled to say that -  NO they haven't forgotten - they do care and they are passionate about it!  In fact, I was to go in this morning with TJ's fourth grade teacher and to reminisce about that time period.  Well, when I got there I was stopped by one of the other mom's on the committee who asked me if I would go down to the fourth grade teacher's room and tell her we don't need her.  That yesterday was a VERY emotional day and we need to slow things down just a bit.  So I did.  The three of us hung out in the hall in between the two classrooms to collect the kiddos things.  I was SO moved by the things they hand brought in and to hear of their story of why they picked that particular item.  One kid (who just moved here earlier this year) didn't bring an item - but wrote something.  Another one of the mom's read this with me.  We both looked at each other with amazement - both asking "are you sure he didn't know TJ?"  After we got all the items gathered we went into the sixth grade class to thank the kids for doing such a great job.


So, today I was given the privilege to type up what each person wrote for their tile.  I am getting it all ready to be sent to the industrial arts department teacher (who by the way is amazing!) who will actually be doing all the engraving.  So remember my post about how yesterday wasn't as hard as I had anticipated?  I believe that was because someone knew it was going to be an emotional day today.  I can't get over what these kids came up with.  One of the mom's on the committee had asked me to come up with some words/phrases (for the tiles) so the kids could have ideas/samples of what to put on their tiles.  I tell you what - their tiles where deeper and more profound than what I came up with.  I'm so glad I didn't have to share my list.  As a Mom who has lost a child - never forgets them, always misses them and wonders if anyone ever feels the way she does about her child.  It warms my heart so much to know that they can still remember specific stories about TJ.  They still miss and love him and he is still affecting their lives today - two years later.  It's the ripple effect.


Being a part of this committee and this project has been such a blessing and I would even add - is helping in the healing process.  I can't wait to see until we put it all together - it's going to be so amazing!  I am so thankful for this class and what they are doing for this grieving mother.  I hope someday I will be able to put into words what this has meant to me and what they mean to me - they all hold such a special place in my heart. 


(I plan to share pictures of all of this after we've had our ceremony - in late May)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grieving Still

Welcome

The Basement Reveal!