Two Years!

(I realize this is a day late, but our internet has been non-functioning the last couple of days - I'm guessing because of the weather)

Yesterday marked the two year anniversary of TJ going home to be with Jesus.  Still can't believe he has been gone for two years - just doesn't seem possible.  Well, we did things a little differently than last year.  All the boys decided they wanted to go to school.  In fact, Anthony even had a field trip (he was a little nervous about it, but his teacher said he did great!).  Jon worked most of the day.  As for myself, I planned the day honoring TJ in a non-traditional way.  I'll do my best to put it into words.  As I've shared before, after TJ's passing I've been sleeping with his blanket at night.  Well, I still wanted a part of him to be with me all the time - so I decided to get a tattoo.  Yep, a tattoo!  I put a lot of thought into it (probably too much) and decided on what I wanted.  So for the past year (at least) I've been trying to find TJ's signature.  I was picky with what I wanted to.  I didn't just want it to say TJ - I wanted Thomas Jon.  That wasn't the easiest thing to find - for more than one reason.  I also wanted it to be something that he wrote most recently before he got sick - which was also hard to find.  You see the closer to the time before he got diagnosed - you couldn't read anything he wrote.  I was finally able to find something that I thought would be perfect.  I had decided I wanted it to be put somewhere where I could see it every day, able to cover if needed to, yet visible so I could share TJ's story - so I decided on my left wrist.  Why did I choose my left instead of my right?  Well, every time I laid in bed with TJ whether it was at home, the hospital or the hospice house - I always held his right hand in my left hand - I just found that to be fitting!  So about three weeks ago I made the appointment for April 29!  I called my dear friend up and asked if she would want to go with me - to which she responded - YES!! 


So, yesterday morning we traveled to Grinnell to Slingin' Ink Tattoos!  I was a little nervous - I had never been inside a tattoo parlor before - I had no clue what to expect.  I was super impressed with the place and the people.  And to top it off - in the back where I got my tattoo - ALL the walls were painted LIME GREEN!!!!  Yep - I think it was meant to be!  The overall experience was great!  As for the pain - I'd say I hardly had any.  If I were to describe how it felt, I'd have to say it is like when your foot, arm, or whatever falls asleep and when it starts to wake up - that pins and needles feeling - that was it!!  There were a couple of times it was a little more painful - but nothing where I thought I was going to pass out, cry or scream in pain!!  I was pleased with the outcome - it all came together just like I had hoped for.


I had gotten in contact with all the ladies of our families earlier to see if they wanted to do lunch afterwards.  Those that were able to met at Grate Expectations in Oskaloosa!  Their food is SO good and....some of their decorations were LIME GREEN as well!  Good food plus good conversations equals a GOOD time!!  Afterwards my friend Kelly, sister Jeana and I headed to the hospital for the jewelry sale they have once or twice a year.  It's great because everything is only $5!  Mom joined up with us later after she took my Grandma back to the nursing home.  After our little shopping time - it was time to head back so we could all be back home for when our kids got off the bus.


Jon had picked up the boys from school and asked them how they wanted to finish the rest of the day.  They decided they wanted to "celebrate" at Happy Joes in Pella.  So, Anthony and Jon quickly chored while I helped Will with his homework.  My sister-in-law Shawna, Katy and Matthew stopped by with balloons and to check out my tattoo.  Shortly after they left we headed for Pella.  As we were pulling into the parking lot Jon suggested to call up our "Pella friends" to join us.  So after a quick phone call - Kelly, LeAnn, Landrey and Piper gathered with us for supper.  It was so nice.  The four of us adults were able to visit, laugh and enjoy ourselves all the while the kiddos were having their own fun!  We made a couple stops after supper and then we headed home.  I seriously think that when my head hit the pillow I was OUT!


I was really not looking forward to yesterday.  All the other seconds have been REALLY hard on me.  I seriously think that since we surrounded ourselves with people who genuinely care and love us really helped make the day go so much better.  So, THANK YOU to all who shared the day with us and who sent us special messages throughout the day.  You helped what could have been such a cruddy day - turn into such a special one!!







Kelly, Me, and my sister Jeana (this was actually taken afterwards)







During!  Kelly and Jeana kept taking pictures and making me laugh throughout the whole process.






I didn't think I wanted to watch.  Well I couldn't figure out what letter he was on - to see how much longer I had left - so I had to look!  It really was fascinating!





The finished product!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grieving Still

Welcome

The Basement Reveal!