Yet Another Adjustment

Not even quite sure how to start this post or how to write exactly what I'm feeling - so bare with me.  For as long as I can remember, my grandparents have been an important part of my life (still are).  Growing up I only lived a hop, skip and jump away from them (I should specify - my Ferguson grandparents) so I was around them often.  My Grandma Phyllis was the only Grandma I ever knew - (my Mom's mom passed away when my Mom was only 12) and was the best there ever could be.  I have SO many memories of being at their house.  Every summer us grandkids got to spend little vacations with them - one on one.  It usually consisted of a couple days and nights of pure spoiling.  We always got to eat our favorite foods and do whatever we wanted - including a shopping spree when we could buy whatever we wanted too!  I LOVED this time - not because I got whatever I wanted.  But because this was special bonding time.  There isn't a time in my growing up (that I can remember) when they weren't there.  They came to our sporting events, birthday parties, prom, 4-H events, cattle shows, church activities - you name it - they were probably there.  Oh the stories I could tell of the things we did at Grandma's house!!  I often reflect on those times and all the fun we had.  I remember baking Christmas cookies.  She had a cow cookie cutter that us girls ALWAYS would use and decorate with those silver balls.  She would kindly suggest us making more trees or snowmen, but we never wanted to.  By the time we were done she would send us outside to shake off all the flour we had gotten all over our clothes.  She was also a great cook.  Grandma made the best creamed peas and potatoes, buster parfait dessert, homemade ice cream and her rolls!!!  (I'm getting hungry).  I also thought their house was the coolest place ever - unfortunately a fire destroyed the house about 14 years ago - but those memories will live on forever.  When Grandma would babysit us girls we would occasionally get into a little tiff - but Grandma would always be patient with us and say, "now girls watch your tongues," to which we would stick out our tongues and proceed to look at them - we were such brats!  I have since then apologized to my Grandma - she claims she doesn't remember that!  I remember Grandpa giving us rides on his mule - the four legged animal - not the one with wheels!  I LOVED doing that!  We also went fishing a lot down at the ranch - or occasionally a different pond.  I could go on and on! 

As I've gotten older and busier with my own family - I don't get to spend that precious time with my grandparents like I'd like to.  Just before their 50th wedding anniversary they moved to town.  That was different, but we all adjusted.  I'd go up and visit every now and again.  Sometimes I'd bring the boys along and they would play with the same toys I played with when I was their age!  Grandma would always offer them a cracker or cookie!  Well, now it's time for another adjustment.  My Grandpa just turned 92 this year and they celebrated their 69th wedding anniversary!  Can't believe he is that old - yet there are days I can't believe I'm as old as I am!!  Unfortunately his health isn't the best.  In fact a week ago yesterday he was admitted into the hospital for dehydration and pneumonia.  It's getting a little harder for them to live at home and the decision has been made for them to go to the nursing home.  Although I know this is what is best for my Grandpa - it is just so hard for me to accept this.  My heart breaks when I go to visit them - for various reasons I'm not going to go into right now.  I have learned over the last couple of years that time and life are precious and to not take them for granted.  So while I still can, I'm going to soak up as much as I can of the precious time I have with my Grandparents.  Yes, things are a little different now.  And because they've been such a huge part of my life and have been such a support to me -it's now my turn to be there for them.  I love them dearly!


This picture was taken at Christmas 2011!  They sat in this chair together almost the whole day!  I hope that Jon and I will be like this when we get older.  They truly love each other.


My Grandma and me!  She is the most caring, positive, sweetest, loving person you'll ever meet.  When I grow up I want to be just like her!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grieving Still

Welcome

The Basement Reveal!